RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2 Channel plane or Sim the best first step?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:58 PM
belsamber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Channel plane or Sim the best first step?

Hi all,
First of all, if you believe the only way a person can learn RC flight is to get an instructor, stop reading… You won’t like this post.

OK. I am wanting to learn to fly RC and while I know that the fastest (and probably cheapest) way to learn is to get an instructor, that is not how I work. Most of the fun is in teaching myself new things. I am prepared to break a plane or two in the learning process. But I would still like some advice on how to break the least number of planes possible.

I have two paths which I am considering taking.

Path One: A WingDragon Sportster/BeginAir with a standard WindDragon wing. I can then use the controller with older simulator software (much cheaper than buying the new versions that require the proprietary controllers, though it may lack features.) This provides a path all the way up to my first 4 channel plane for a very reasonable price – provided I can make the jump from sim to 3 channel without too much incident.

Path two: Get a cheap two channel plane first – the AeroAce or the Hobbizone Scout are about the same price from here (New Zealand). Then go the WDS route. That means my first flight will be on an actual plane. I don’t feel like spending 200USD on a sim + controller, the another $x on a two channel, then another $x on a three channel etc.

I guess the real question is: What would give me the best step up: A cheap 2 channel plane or a simulator.

Cheers,

Dylan