RCU Forums - View Single Post - MagnumR Maiden Advice
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MagnumR Maiden Advice

ORIGINAL: Electric Delta

Hi, I am flying the Magnum with the Jett .50, using the Super Sport muffler and APC 8.75 x 9W pylon prop. I am quite
pleased with the speed, but was wondering if the Jett .40 Q500 (same or other pylon prop) would be even faster? Just
wondering if the engine timing and shorter tuned muffler on the Q500 would more than make up for the displacement
advantage of the .50 or not on this plane. I don't guess a Jett Q40 would be faster on the Magnum, probably too much
drag, and no way to match the prop to the plane, since the Q40 needs to turn so high.
The SJ-50 with the SS muffler is almost the same power output as the Q500 engine. With the actual Q500 black muffler on it, the tuning range is exactly the same - turns a 9W just fine. So a trade in that respect is probably not worth while.

If you want performance a bit above your current setup, the next step would be a SJ-60LX. This engine has shown to turn the 8.8x9 Q-500 prop as well as, and often better than, the Q-500 engine. And it still idles and throttles great. Prop it to run between 18,000 and 20,000 on the ground, and just hang on