RCU Forums - View Single Post - First flight - Sky Fly - need help
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Deltabongo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First flight - Sky Fly - need help

I flew my Sky Fly for the first time today and was really impressed by how it flew. Bear in mind that this was my first time flying ever (no simulator, no instructor). The first flight was definitely !QUOT!White Knuckle Airline!QUOT! as the first turns I made were way too steep and everything was going on too fast in my head. But after the 2nd battery pack ( I bought 3 extra ones) I was really getting the hang of it, where thinking about the controls vs the orientation of the plane started to become automatic.. well fairly automatic.

I was flying with expert mode enabled in about 8 mph winds, a little higher wind speed than I would have liked but I really wanted to get out today as the plane's been sitting in my basement for over a month. The plane flew well and was able to come back upwind at full throttle without too much difficulty.

What I was really impressed with was its ability to glide once the motor shut itself down at the end of the battery charge. Kind of freaked me out at first but by just not over controlling the plane, it glided down easily. Also as long as the amount of control input is kept to a minimum, the plane does a great job of leveling itself out pretty easily.

The two tips that I really found helped me the most are:

- Don't be afraid of altitude, it's definitely your friend.
- Go easy on the amount of input you give the plane

Anyhow, just wanted to share my first flight experience which was definitely a positive one.

I think I'm hooked!!!