RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fastest glow Powered Prop Plane?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 07:27 AM
crasharama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fastest glow Powered Prop Plane?

Hi Slowmo,
My German is fairly broken, can kind of understand what they are on about, but can't talk it at all

I am lucky to be in the same model club as the #1 F3d team in the world, Chris & Kev Callow, & possibly best F3d airframe designer as well in Bruce de Chastel. So watching fast & low is becoming common place every weekend.

I ask alot of questions & am learning all the time. Kev helped set my racer up & called for me in my 1st day of racing which was a real buzz. All I could think was holy cr*p, not everyone has a world champ help them in their 1st day of racing

Anyway,

I can understand that swept volume, available torque, & ability of swinging a bigger prop will give a quicker top end. So an airframe like the Evo T, minus the pregnant guppy bulge under the wing, & no canopy bulge, with a 90 size DF engine shoe horned in, should be quicker than the standard 40 size F3d style airframe. It all has to do with gearing. ..

My guess is this is what Mr "King"has designed 20 yrs ago....

As far as a DD with enclosed engine & pipe, would it be as fast as a standard airframe, given that the relative slow speeds that we fly at ?. The delta really isn't in it 's speed zone, unless we start to push past Mach 1.2 !!!!

When we do, I will make sure I am there every year[:-]

Tony.

p.s This picture is Chris Graham's Evo T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36156.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	448843