RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...
Old 05-14-2006, 04:16 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

Probably headed out into the garage tonight to install the electronics. Have to put new gears in one of the HS81 servos I'll be using. I still have a concern over the control rods based on where the servos should be mounted (inside the booms under the wing). The servo to control the elevator is going to be tricky routing it's control rod and horn placement, as well as the servo for the aileron as the aileron edge is not flush with the side of the boom. Think this is why Fisher said he used a funny "S" curve in his control rod. Also wonder what's the best thing to use...piano wire or plastic sleeved control rods as I have both laying around. Unless Fisher chimes in soon and perhaps has some photos to post of the plane belly and how he did his servos/rods I'll just have to hack away at it until I figure out something that works. Picked up various colors of that H20 paint from Walmart that is safe to paint regular foam with like this. However, one thing has me scratching my head...I also had picked up some "foam safe" spray on glue to help the tape stick to the foam as I install it. The wing Extreme strapping tape I had put on had to be lifted so I could cut the aileron as I said before. Figured I'd spray it with the spray glue to help it stick back on and the glue started melting the foam! Luckily it stopped before it eat a hole through to the top of the wing but now I've got to putty that area with some of that light weight body spackle. Not a big deal since I might just spackle the entire body to really smooth it out before painting. Wasn't planning on going into much detail on this first foam build of this plane but might as well give her the full treatement. I know I'm asking for trouble by painting this thing before I even maiden it to see if it works. However, so long as COG is proper I shouldn't have any trouble besides a little trim. There, now I've just gone and jinxed myself.