RCU Forums - View Single Post - Magnum & color schemes
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnum & color schemes

I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on high visibiltiy color schemes for speed airplanes.

I was out yesterday flying my MagnumR, in a greyish overcast sky, about 3pm. I have no color deficiencies, but am slightly near sighted and wear glasses for driving and flying. Normally I have NO problems with orientation with RC models, but I am having fits with the bloody Magnum. Years ago, I had a yellow and black sport airplane that was the worst I can remember for orientation, and I never used that color scheme again. Well, the Magnum is the only aircraft since then I've flown in yellow and black, and to me it is even worse. The black/white checkerboard on the underside turns into muddy grey at any distance, and I find myself orienting this aircraft more by memory than from visual reference. Is it just me, or does anyone else have similar problems with the stock color scheme?

After a hand launch yesterday, I was climbing out at about 30 degrees and picking up speed, then as I banked to come around I suddenly realized (a) I was a bit too far out, and (b) I had no idea which way was what! [X(] It really wasn't all that far out, but I was "excreting bricks" at this point and rocking back and forth trying to get oriented. I was also fumbling for the rate switch to get into low rate at the same time which wasn't helping [from now on I'll launch on low rates and only switch to high for landing..]. Finally, as much by luck as anything else, I ended up level and headed back to the field, but I was a hair away from killing the engine and augering it in on purpose before it got too near the village nearby. But it was not just this time, I am having these problems all the time with it.

I have a second MagnumR airframe, my original plans being to hack off the turtledeck and convert it to a rear exhaust engine with enclosed pipe. I am thinking I'll strip the covering and redo the color scheme on this one at the same time.

MJD