RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...
Old 05-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Fisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's a Simple & FREE First Foam Build Plan! Cool Looking Plane Too...

I think that this plane could be used for gliding if you take EO's earlier advice and lengthen the wing a bit and add some dihedral. You would want to add a carbon tube to strengthen the wing as well.

On both of my builds the planes came out tail heavy. I had to trim the elevator into the down position to keep the nose down during high speed flight. This meant that the plane would climb on first flight which is just fine. Better that then diving into the ground 10 feet out.

Critterhunter,

Can you down load Compufoil yet. You need to get a good airfoil template for future builds. Especially if you plan to scale the plane up.

Your plane looks great. It will look even better in the air. Get her up! Funny how everyone else is hot for the first flight cause it will be fun to hear about not matter how it turns out. The builder on the other hand is always a bit reluctant to go for it due to the potential of a 3 second dive into the ground.

One thing to keep in mind is that the elevator has a lot of control authority but the aileron is minimal so do not expect to roll like it is attached to a drill. Get a lot of altitude and roll left if you are going to try a full roll. One fun thing to do is fly by 2 or 3 feet off of the ground and pull a loop ending where you started, right in front of you. Very fun. I was using the trees at the local park for a slalom course. Worked great. No low flying branches.

The family will be gone for a week this summer. I will try to build a double the dimensions version of this plane if CH has not beaten me to it. Probably try a BP-12 brush-less for slow flight. Just for looks. Big and slow like CH describes.

Sorry to see EO dropping out of this thread. Assume he will be back sooner or later