RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes DR-1 ARF
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes DR-1 ARF

SP:

You called that one right. The Triplane acts like a seaplane on the water during final approach- throttled back, it will show you where the wind is as it's descending. I've learned the hard way that one does not argue with that. Just land. If there's any wind at all, landing distance is not a concern anyway, as it will touch down and roll out in about 10 feet.

The last time I flew it, I came in too hot during a crosswind, and nosed it over real bad. Busted up three of the strut mount points, and did some other minor damage. Today was the first time I've flown it since then, which was September 05. During that time I've switched all my models over to my HiTec Spectrum 6 ch Tx. Got hooked on expo real fast, particularly on the elevators. Ended up with 65% elev expo on the DR-1, and my landings are getting real sweet, now. Somebody said in an earlier post that landings should follow this sequence, and he's right:

Turn final.
Idle back.
Dive at the end of the runway, 30-40 degrees nose down.
Level off and idle up a bit around 4-5' AGL.
After she settles down, throttle back to idle and let her settle onto the mains.

Sweet, sweet everytime.

I also mixed in 18% down elevator at full throttle. Makes the bird much easier to live with.

Later.