RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 05:31 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

ORIGINAL: electriceye

Hi,

Sorry I ammended my details. I live in the South. I understand your suggestion, in fact 'back in the day' when I had my rubber band powered actuator and single channel R/C (don't laugh, it was proably the same kit Pontius used when he was a pilot-boom! boom!) I built a 'V' tail slope soarer. It flew well except we haven't got any slopes round here!! Being a young teenager I threw it off Box Hill, the closest thing we have to a slope for miles, over a busy 'A' road with only car parks etc to come down on if I lost it-I couldn't do that now I'm a responsible adult!! I realise of course that the reason I found my 'stang so dificult was that it was on high mode so it was far too sensitive for my untrained hands. On low mode there seems to be so little movement on the surfaces though, I didn't think you would get much or any control, but I guess that small movement is all it needs and makes it more docile.?(The instructor who flew it would not enetrtain low mode which I quite understand, if you know what you are doing.) Next weekend I'll get him to take it up then switch to low mode and see how I get on then. Failing that I'll have to get a cub or something and train. Please let me know how you get on. Did you fly it in high or low mode? The most dificult part of launching is getting reasonable grip I found?

Any 'newbies' managed to get on with the PZ Mustang on 'low mode' and not trash it!!!

I think you'd be sorely dissappointed with a trainer cub or something similar. Although sure it will allow you to learn to fly, once you do that, its of no real use anymore. If I may, I would rather suggest that you get the Parkzone 3D typhoon....yes...the Typhoon. WHY???? Because on low rates, its one of the most stable planes out there. Also, it'll use the same batteries you have for the P-51 so you'll have an extra one for use with P-51 or two to use with the Typhoon. The plane flies decent on the stock Nimh battery. The included transmitter(for the RTF package) is a nice standard 4 channel radio that can be used in any plane. It also does even have a 5th channel(for flaps or gear) depending on what jumper settings you have on the rx. You can get an ARF version of this plane, but. you'd need a 4 channel radio to fly it so if you dont already own one, the RTF package is the way to go.
I learned to fly on this plane and it is very resilient to damage(easily fixed). Its thick foam instead of the thin depron of the P-51. It also has landing gear which can be used either on a runway or on grass.
Another benefit, is after you get proficient at flying...you can upgrade both planes with lipo with only changing a jumper setting on the rx's and if you want, can transplant the brushless motor from typhoon over to the P-51 at a later time.