RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Crashcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Completely agree with Kahlog and Lib re the Typhoon as a trainer with extra potential. I started with gliders, then an aerobird extreme, several strykers, then mustang and finally Typhoon and without a doubt the most stable model in the air and the easiest to fly is the Typhoon. Granted that by the time I got the Typhoon I had about 2-3 years of practice but I still think it is almost idiot proof for all of the reasons mentioned previously. Just look at its physical characteristics - low wing loading, massive prop (almost heli size), huge control surfaces with power to burn - certainly if you give the controls plenty of stick it will go mental and I guess that is where problems might come in but if you contain yourself and go easy for a while I think it is absolutely the most painless learning experience. Exhibit 1 - wife, never RC'd before EVER came with me the other day and I managed to get her to take the controls for about 1 min and she did a complete recce of the field using only rudder and elevators. For me it comes down to this (others may disagree) - with the Strykers and P51s/ Fw190 etc even reasonably tweaked on the darkside you still have to concentrate 100% all the time and be thinking about 3 moves ahead (like chess). With the Typhoon I can be 10 metres off the ground, do something nuts/stupid and still loop roll out and then try something else crazy. Typhoon - approx 100 flights, 0 crashes (touch wood); mustang and stryker - about 20 crashes across 5 models with 1 terminal stryker which ended up looking like bean bag filler. Last weekend went with all 3 to the field - 8 batts charged - put the mustang up twice and used all the other batts in the Typhoon and went home happy - stryker missed out.

As for specifics electriceye - I still sometimes launch on low rates with no problems (yet to have a launch crash) but my other mustang is a pig and needs high rates and heaps of thought all of the time (several launch crashes). From after launch and landing always high rates. I have found that mine fly better with a bit of wind and hence try to fly the mustangs with a reasonable amount of wind but only if it is coming from a constant direction. A bit of a run and chuck might help if you are still having trouble launching?