RCU Forums - View Single Post - A Fast Delta?
Thread: A Fast Delta?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 09:32 PM
Blue Skyy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Fast Delta?

"Super Vulcan" is a custom built design with carbon fiber - Foam composition with a 38" ws. Carbon Fiber spar wing tip to wing tip. Carbon Fiber laminated liteply nose to tail structure. It is powered by a VR-DF .91 ducted fan engine which will turn on the ground 20,600 rpm. Unloaded in the air it is likely another 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. The prop is a 7.9"x 12 custom ground APC 11x12. The plane weighs in at 4.8 lbs ready to go but without 12 oz of fuel onboard. Flight times are typically 4 to 5 minutes, but you will likely have flown 14.16 miles per flight. Vertical climb rate has been calculated at over 9,500 feet per min! Vertical is easily unlimited at half throttle. The plane is my design with everything including the tank tucked away inside the wing. There is a special bay in the wing for a GPS unit, but I haven't got one yet. Note the plane is longer than the "Diamond Dust" to make it a little more stable on speed runs. The span is a little wider too. The airfoil is just 1.75" thick at the root. The spinner is cowled to meet the fuse and this winter I have built a fiberglass cowl to go back to the clamps on the tuned pipe. All electronics and servos are inside small bays in the wing

I haven't had this plane clocked yet but it is considerably faster than any plane I have flown. It has to be upward of 230+mph. Maybe a tad faster coming out of a long dive. Once I get a GPS going, I will have very definite results. The bottom of the plane is clean and black in color.

This plane flies off of a large stable dolly and requires a ground roll of around 75' to get it airborne. Yes it is very loud and I do wear hearing protection when it is started. The ultimate "Scream Machine!"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43362_21364.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	27052