RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Ernest T,

This one (like the last one) is getting an OS 160 4 Stroke twin. The first one that I built got a Maloney 125. It was marginally powered with this engine. The second one got an OS 120 (non-pump) flew great. The third one got a MOKI 1.8, and was overpowered (it would do things that the full scale bird could not dream of). The fourth one got the 160 twin, and I think that it's the perfect engine for this model. I have several more in the boxes waiting to be built. As far as I am concerned, they will all have this engine (might consider the Saito 182 twin). Unlike the others in the past, this one will not be able to be bought. Stupidly, I allowed myself to be talked into selling the other ones. No more.

This one has been significantly modified, in that the beam mounts have been cut off (still used part of them to strengthen the structure) and a 5/16 plywood firewall is used, which allows the radial mount of the twin. Doing this means opening the rear of the fuel tank box in order to fit and service the fuel tank. If any of you guys are building this model, do not use the aileron setup as shown on the plan, but rather use at least 2 servos and drive the top ailerons with links. There is just too much lost motion and slop using the pushrods and belldranks that are supplied with the kit.

On the tail, I use pull-pull on both the rudder and the elevators. Not only does it look more scale, but the operation of the control surfaces is more precise. I do not build up the wheel pants, but use a set of fiberglass pants from one of the outside vendors. They all have very nice ones. I do lay up the wheel pant fairings myself, to blend the pants with the landing gear fairings, and give the model a more scale like appearance. I do the same thing with the lower wing fairing and the tail group as well. I cover with Koverall, and dope. I use a light coat of automobile primer, and finish with single stage acrylic automobile paint. No problems with not being fuel proof (if you clean the model after flying). This one is going to be burgandy with cream trim. I don't use the kit decals, but mask and airbrush, followed by hand striping the edges of the trim with a dagger brush. This method requires a few special skills, but they are skills that anyone can master with a little practice. I guess you could say that I'm not into instant gratification. No ARF's for me, not even the new COX WACO. It's pretty, but it has no soul.

Bill, AMA 4720