RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 PM
AeroDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

Something to add to the rolling harrier is beginners tend to add top rudder approaching the first "point" too early and too much. These days folks didn't spend years working on long, slow rolls like us long time pattern enthusiasts did. So the concept of smoothly adding top rudder in a roll tends to freak them out, so to speak. So they begin the roll, jam in some top rudder and change heading and roll rate before they get started. I just wanted to add that you need to feed in corrections smoothly and no more than is needed. I find If I'm already in a harrier when I begin the roller, I don't really need much top rudder on the first point. The key is to be able to fly through the move add what's needed. From a harrier, start the roll and let the airplane settle in. If rolling left, wait to add the right rudder until it begins to fall just a bit. It sorta locks in that way. And remember, it won't always be the same amount of correction, depending on what the airplane is doing. Fly through the move. If you're having trouble getting the timing down on a rolling harrier, try waiting and relaxing just a bit before adding that first bit of rudder. Also, try starting the move from a good harrier. Left is easier at first because torque helps it along.