RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shrike 10
Thread: Shrike 10
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Carl.E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shrike 10

Bob-
The Shrike will actually be more different than the Wonder than you expect. It has a thinner wing, and it's swept back...more speed. What engine are you planning on installing? I had a 25 FP on my first Shrike...it was fast. Then I added a rocket boost, and it was FAST, until I the wing separated in mid-air. So I built another with a MVVS 28 (GREAT engine!) and a rocket, and it was REALLY FAST. That one went in full throttle straight down; the elevator servo wasn't strong enough to pull it out.

As for building tips- It goes together really well. On my 2nd Shrike, I used spruce for the spars and LE to keep the wing from tearing off. One thing all Shrike's should have done is sheet the back part of the plane, between the fins. The plans have these open, and I don't think they would hold up very well to excessive speed without sheeting. Add tri-stock to the top and bottom joint of the fins too..you don't want one of those flying off. I moved the servos back from where the plans say to help balance the big engine up front. I think that's about all I changed...it was a few years ago I did this...now I'm playing with Diamond Dusts. Just build everything straight and true, and you will have a really fun plane.

Carl