RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kobra with a Jett 46??
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 09:53 AM
frikinstik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kobra with a Jett 46??

i4ni,
OK, got some pics that should help you out. first thing i wondered about is if you had already assembled your Kobra. if not, cool. if so, the wing can be modified pretty easily but the FUSE i have is 1/2" wider and 1 inch longer than the plans, including the front gear door addition that makes the bottom of the nose a little deeper to fit the front retract. the front retract still protrudes from the bottom but it was the only way to mount it, and butts up against the engine mount.
First pics depicts the mounting of main gear. mounted on line with gear placement on plans as well as when extended. i utilized hard basswood (4 total) between ribs. to re-enforce the ribs i utilized the plans and cut and sandwiched two 1/16 ply ribs from the main spar to the trailing edge. installed mouting blocks and stengthened with strips of fiberglass cloth. to make the gear bays I utilized 3/16 " balsa for the sides and 1/16 ply (easy to bend) to make the rounded wheel recess. to make this you have to cut through more of the ribs toward the root rib, and to strenthen them again i utilized 1/16 in ply cut to fit on each one cut and sheeted the wing out to the retract mount.

Next pics show the mounting of the retract servo. i used the low profile type because of limited space. this bay was originally for the aileron servo but works perfectly for the retracts. this also requires you to install individual aileron servos which get mounted on their sides and mounted using hatches something like i did. for the hatches i used 3/32" lite ply and wood screws.

For the Nose retract pics, this was the hardest one to make fit and what i did is use the plans and put my retract on them an traced it out, ensuring that the pivot point was centered exactly where the front fixed gear was. this causes you to have to cut up into the firewall enough to get it recessed but not to much so you can still get the mount on it. i utilized a piece of aluminum stock bent to 90 degrees and mounted this BEHIND the firewall. this strengened the amount of firewall removed and also gave more "meat" to mount the engine mounting screws. then i marked and drilled for the retract mounting holes and mounted the retract by sliding it nose in first and then down on to the aluminum stock. i only used the back to holes and use nylon locking nuts to keep in place.
for the nose retract, you have to move the fuel tank back (more pics to follow), and i made a mounting plate for it and the steering servo. not alot of clearance for either servo and i mounted the plate low enought to alow the retract servo with arm and control rod keeper to pull in a straight line. both the retract and stearing servo are connected to the reciever using Y-harness.

cant load anymore pics and i got to get flying so i will get back at this later. if i am unclear or you have more questions let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32268.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	492093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71477.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	492094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11371.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.6 KB