RCU Forums - View Single Post - Telemetry from a 60 size mustang
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telemetry from a 60 size mustang

Hi everybody,

I too have purchased a telemetry unit. It yields altitude, rpm and real time airspeed via a pitot tube. I purchased a 60 size mustang (from ebay-believe it or not) and eliminated all but 1/2 inch of the belly scoop. This plane is purple, yellow and black, wingspan about 65 inches and fully sheeted. Flying weight is 8.25 lbs. For $150.00, it is a good deal. I powered the bird with an OS vrdf 91 using ab 11x10 apc prop. The engine also utilizes a full wave muffled pipe with manifold pressure to the tank and 15% omega fuel.

I tested the speed indicator by mounting the wing on top of my van about 18 inches above the roof and brought her up to 60 mph. The reading of the telem unit was 60 mph and the van's speedometer read 60.4mph. This was reproducible. I also tried it at 70 mph later on and the result was the same.

Coming down at a shallow dive from 400 feet, the plane did 164 mph top end. I later downloaded the data and found that the engine was turning 21,200 rpm. The data recorder transmits real time and then also stores data for later download.

My friend Jerry is going to help me put retracts on it, clean up the cowling and pipe area and other drag inducing areas. Possibly the use of an 11x9 or a cut down 11x10 or 11x11 might yield even more speed. We hope to push her nearer to 200.

I would welcome any ideas on how to accomplish this goal.
Attached Images