RCU Forums - View Single Post - ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Libertarian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

ORIGINAL: Airchief

Hey Libertarian, how do you go about taking the frame out, and putting it back, so that it still looks nice? Take the tape off of the top and bottom, and retape it with colored ducktape?

Actually I only use duct tape if I ruin the stock tape. You can usually reuse it if you're careful. Start by removing the fairings over the main wing. Those 4 screws are all that holds the fuse in. You'll have to carefully seperate the lower skin from the front of the skeleton behind the firewall. I usually split the top of the fuse which only means pulling up the tape that holds it together and regluing the foam when done and using that same tape to recover it . If I recall you don't have to split the top though, just pull down the skin of the fuse thats stuck to the skeleton behind the firewall. Because I bolt the firewall and motor mount back on I cut the excess skin off the front anyway.

I am getting a new fuse, and want to take the frame out like you did, reinforce the front section, put it back in, and foam the front with Great Stuff foam. I then will cut some holes out for airflow. That will be alright if i don't do to many right?
And Any other tips for foaming the front, besides taping the batt box and stuff? How far aft should the foam go? And how much does the stuff expand?

See my post Post #: 1510 on page 61. This was the second time I did it and this time I used less so it wouldn't be so heavy and pool up on one side making it out of balance. The stuff foams up like crazy and will fill up the area so don't keep adding until its bursting at the seems everywhere. The first time I did it I had to add 6 BIG body washers to one side to get it to balance because I used too much. Although balanced the plane flew poorly because it was so front heavy. NOW, after foaming I actually rip out all but a 1/4 inch (or so) inside coating of the foam (With an exacto knife and needle-nosed pliers) because that's all you really need to massively reinforce the fuse. If you use duct tape or make wings for your battery box (as I did) the foam should stop around the back of the battery box. Rip out the tape or foam stop wings afterward for better battery cooling. If you want smaller vent holes (and more foam) you can use pencils lubed with vaseline to make passages for the motor wires. When hardened twist the pencils with a pliers to break them free and pull them out. Make sure you immediately clean the tube from the Great stuff can or it will be unuseable in the future. I use Carb or brake cleaner but water works if you do it fast.

[sm=stupid.gif]

Thanks!
Good luck!