RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ed's Mach Racer
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ed's Mach Racer

Since Hobby People had a 10 buck discount, I fished in and picked up a Mach Racer delta. I built it with the skid instead of the landing gear.

Mach Racer mods:
-Moved servos to the top so they and the control horns wouldn't drag on landing. I cut holes and added 1/16 ply underneath for servo mounts.
-Pushrods replaced with 4-40. Bolt-on ball links to the heavy duty DuBro servo arms and DuBro locking black plastic clevices. Sullivan metal control horns.
-Elevon gap taped on the bottom.
-Wing leading edge taped to prevent covering peeling back.
-JR 811 Sport digital servos used for elevons.
-Magnum .52XLS was available so that's what I used. 10-6 Master Airscrew scimitar prop for test flying. Next weekend, I'll try an APC 9-7 and 9-8. 1-% Omega fuel.
-Rossi short pipe with OS muffler adapter used. I had this in a drawer and used it. I didn't tach it, but it seemed to rev up pretty well.
-All plastic spinner replaced with a Great Planes plastic cone/metal backplate spinner. Never had one of these fail.

Flying:
-I used the same launcher as I do for my Dusty Deuce twin delta and it worked well. 2 flights and both launches were excellent.
-The plane is fast and as stable as a rock in flight. Except for it being fast, anyone who can fly a trainer could easily fly mine. No bad traits observed anywhere. Now I do use a lot of expo.
-On high rate, the rolls are a blur. Much, much too fast to attempt to count.
-Landing is easy. Deltas will slow down if you get the nose up so you can land close in easily.

It's a fun airplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78554.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	499190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36849.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	499191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56680.jpg
Views:	34