RCU Forums - View Single Post - Substitute for Ether
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:32 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Substitute for Ether

Latest runs on no ether fuel can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=hopeso

The MP Jets engine was designed and manufactured in the Czech Republic and imported By Carlson Imports, one of the prime sources of diesel engines. Being a purpose built diesel from the start, it IS built very ruggedly,, far stronger than a typical glow in the .06 size. The rod is a beam and the crank is massive. Pretty much bullet proof. Mine was purchased as a glow engine and was converted to diesel and also rebuilt to take the innards of a Wasp .09. This made it an ABC glow engine that gave very good power for its weight. It didn't take long before I converted it into an .078 sized diesel.

This series of tests indicate that a no ether fuel will run and the key element is HEAT. Once up to temperature, the kerosene alone sustains combustion. We use ether only to allow the engine to start. We actually need to compensate for the ether by running at a slightly lower compression because the ether advances the ignition point. All these years we've been compromising power for easier starting. No need as ether is ONLY required as a prime.

There are some significant advantages to this discovery. First, we get more power because the percentage of the POWER ingredient, the kerosene, is optimized. Plus, theoretically, because the ether has NO lubricating qualities and likely has the opposite action, either less lube can be used or the engine is lubed more efficiently. Also, because as kero has lubricating qualities all its own, the extra used in a no ether mix adds to the lubricating qualities of the fuel.

Another advantage is fuel storage. Those in hot climates will describe many methods of storing fuel, even at the field, in icepack filled coolers. AND, as the picture illustrates, a metal can is NOT needed with a no ether fuel. A plastic jug works just fine with no ingredient loss through the plastic. The metal can at the far left is a MUST with an ether based fuel as we all know the stories about fuel going sour with a loss of ether.

But the proof is in the flying and last evening, I took out my Mini-Sport with the Norvel .074 and put in three flights with the no ether fuel. The engine started readily enough on the ether mix settings but I had to do considerable juggling of needle settings. The way this works is that with the higher compression that is necessary to run on just kerosene, you are required to turn out the main needle valve some. This drives the low end rich and that has to be adjusted. This particular .074 has one of the CS/Brodak throttles installed so that the bottom end mixture could be adjusted as needed.

So, in the end, all you need is oil, kero and a can of quickstart to make up a small batch of prime mix. As well, the John Deere product is not a necessity, any brand will do.

This opens up some new possibilities, perhaps. Will an all kero fuel be more competitive in various of events? Team racing? free-flight? Longer runs/more power on the same fuel?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28507.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	500072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46147.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	500073