RCU Forums - View Single Post - *RF Or EI Problems*
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: *RF Or EI Problems*

This question brings up something I have wondered about, a grounding system in the plane. It would seem to me that an engine swing a plastic or composite prop in very low humidity would build up a static charge that could jump into the electronics. I was working on my idle the other day and when I would touch the screwdriver to the needle valve, or bump it on the muffler, all my servos would chatter. My transmitter was setting within thre feet of the plane, and the Transmitte/receiver I'm using field test OK at a couple hundred feet. I pulled the antanna up half way, and the problem went away, so it is noise. I don't see a source of noise other than a static build up.

I had a lot of experience working out EMF/RFI issues on computers, but the basics of a single ground point really doesn't apply to model aircraft. I was wondering though if one could build a ground system in a plane and disipate the static through small needles at the wing tips? I seem to remember that full scale planes use something like that to blead off a static charge. Am I all wet on this, or has someone tried this?? I think some of the metal pushrods are collecting the static and providing a path for emi charge.

Don