RCU Forums - View Single Post - WACO YMF
Thread: WACO YMF
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: BULL-RCU

Sullivan does make Flex tanks that can be formed with a heat gun but they are not GAS proof you need to use nitro. For those interested... Check out the new lighter 26cc gas engine by Birelli and BCMA they have tons of power and will fly this size plane scale... They are very light weight... and smalll in sz. Noise level is about the same as a large nitro.
Yes, Bull, we all have our hot buttons. Mine happens to be when someone wants to compare an offshore built ARF to a hand crafted scale model. True, it takes me at least a year to complete one of my WACO's (and I say mine, due to all the modifications that I have learned are necessary in order to make the PICA fifth scale kit into a viable model). My models are not cookie cutter flying machines, but each one has a true personality. I power all of my WACO's with the OS FT160 twin. No part of the engine protrudes from the cowl except the two exhaust outlets and one small hole for the needle valve extension. I have yet to see a gasser that did not require an ugly cut on the cowl. If you have found one then more power to you. It's still hard to beat the sound of a twin four stroke pulling a load.

I still stand by my statement regarding the ARFing of this kit. I think that COX has done a grave injustice to the history of this fine kit. Now anyone with the bucks can have one of these, and yes, in my view that does cheapen the value of the ownership of this model airplane. Sorry pal, I just can't get all that wound up over owning a model that someone else has make. I tried one ARF, and sold it as soon as I had done the trim flight on it. I sold it complete with engine and radio gear. It was the H-9 P-47 with an OS 91 and JR 8103 system. I just couldn't get that excited over it.

I will continue to spend the extra time required to build my WACO's (I have enough kits stashed to last me the rest of my life) Ans as to my wife being supportive and understanding, the WACO that I am currently building is for her. Yep, it will be her airplane. She does not build, but she flys just fine.

Bill, AMA 4720