RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba 9CAFS FM Super, good radio?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 07:56 AM
alpinestar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9CAFS FM Super, good radio?

My latest radio is a 9C super.. I've been flying for 15-20 years or so & havea had great luck with Futaba, as others at our field have had with JR, Airtronics, etc.... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands.
I use my 9C for everything from park flyers through a 96" B-17, and even for heli's as well. It will do just about anything you can think of with a little thinking & using the manual, or it will do the "basics" with the familiarity you already have.
PPM,PCM,FM..... consider PPM and FM (frequency modulation) as the very same thing. PCM (pulse code modulation) offers greater resolution & debatably greater signal security. By resolution, I mean that a PCM system has more "steps" in the movement of the servos vs FM, sorta like a higher frame rate on video which smoothes it out. For sport flying, it is not necessary. I use FM receivers for most of my planes, but use PCM for bigger planes (safety!), heli's (moving parts= radio noise), and anything i have my heart or wallet deep into.
You can use any of the 9C transmitters with futaba, hitec, and other brand FM receivers. I recommend dual-conversion recievers, and use a lot of Futaba R127 (recently replaced) and Hitec electron-6 receivers. For PCM, i use whatever the latest & greatest Futaba 8 or 9 channel rec is. You cannot to my knowledge use other brand PCM receivers with a given brand transmitter.

In short, you won't regret the 9C!!!