RCU Forums - View Single Post - Build your own plane kits!
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Build your own plane kits!

ORIGINAL: weavermonkey

Hello there,

ever since ive been little i remember my dad being obsessed with planes, especially rc planes. Due to a very small income he hasnt been able to live his dream of building and flyign hsi own rc plane.
Now we have grown up and he doesn't have such a large exdpenditure, i think it's time he got what he wanted!

Do you guys know of any "Build your own rc plane" kits?

also im from across the pond ! (england)

Thanks in advance!
Ian
There are MANY kits out there to choose from.

I suggest the following:

1. Get an instructor. It will make learning substantially easier AND less expensive

2. Your first plane should be a high wing trainer.

3. When you build a plane you have a good amount of emotion built into your "labor of love". Since a trainer is designed to learn on AND will get beat up, damaged, etc, I strongly suggest an ARF for the 1st plane and a kit built plane for the 2nd (and later planes).

The advantage to the ARF is:

Minimal emotional attachment in the event (actually, when) the plane gets damaged.

You do not have to worry about accidently building in a warp or building something
incorrectly (gluing the wrong piece at the wrong time or in the wrong place - don't
ask me how I know about this)

Light planes fly better than heavy planes. Just starting out, it is very unlikely that
you can build a plane as light as an ARF, much less do as nice a covering job. Both
take a few planes to properly master.

Once he knows how to fly, all the equipment can be switched over to the kit built
plane, and since he knows how to fly now, there is a substantially less chance of
damaging his "labor of love"