View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Signal Interference

ORIGINAL: rlmcnii

Rodney,
I believe Flyinrain (I know it is true for me) was having trouble with the loss of the RF link from Tx. to Rx. A "Fail Safe" with an FS8 indicates a loss of reception by the receiver. You seem to indicate that power leads to servos that are of a too-small gauge can cause reception problems. How so?

Also....this question is for everybody....If servo buffers are a potential source of interference, why would anyone use them? In this case, why would FMA recommend a "fix" that could only decrease their customers' satisfaction with their products? I am not a retail merchant, but selling a product that detracts from the performance of your other products makes little sense to me. I understand that there is a $$$ motivation attached to the sale of everything.

Another question comes to mind involving power-management systems. Quest Engineering's Smart Fly comes immediately to mind. Those units provide multiple, FILTERED (buffered), outputs for multiple servos on each channel. These units are above my present level of sophistication, but they seem to be intended for use in high-end, expensive, high-performance, gas-powered airplanes. Are devices such as these detrimental to the successful operation of these airplanes? Does no one use them? Or, have the users of such devices been duped by self-interested manufacturers and vendors?

Does anyone out here in RC cyberspace have any idea of the accurate facts?????
Bear in mind that any components added decrease the reliability of the system.
As a design engineer I like to do things in the simplest manner. It creates less headaches. I would never install any of the devices you mention. There is simply no need to in the most advanced airplanes we use. It the servos are heavy drain and come in large numbers the simplest thing to do is increase the size of the wires to them. If the batteries draw down with the application of multiple control orders, increase the size of the batteries.
If you look inside of my airplanes you find just the most basic PCM system. I use PCM because it is a better receiver even though its more costly and complicated. In this case its worth the extra cost and complication.