RCU Forums - View Single Post - park zone fw190 rtf
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 AM
WRXpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: park zone fw190 rtf

Update: Well, mine broke in exactly the same place the first time I landed it yesterday. I admit it was a bit of a hard landing though. It looked exactly like yours Heavy1000; that could be a picture of my plane.

It seems pretty clear that there's a weak spot there in the fuselage. It looks to me like the cutout for the pilot figure on the top of the fuse, combined with the cutout for the wing on the bottom leaves only the foam sides of the fuse to support any stress on the rear of the airframe. Mine (and yours from what I can see) broke in basically a clean line from the one hole to the other. If I could make a suggestion to PZ, it would be to not make a hole in the fuselage to mount the pilot figure; just glue it to a solid-top fuselage. That extra hole seems to compromise the fuselage strength pretty badly.

Oh, and my fix? 20 minutes with some Gorilla Glue, packing tape, and 2 small wooden doublers glued across the break inside the fuse. It's solid, probably stronger than new (if a few grams heavier). Nice thing about foam planes; that would have been hours of repair and recovering if this were a balsa kit.