RCU Forums - View Single Post - Chain-link fencing for pilot stations - Your Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Mr Edge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain-link fencing for pilot stations - Your Thoughts?

I wanted to post this question out to the rest of you, and get your opinion on this situation.

Our club is in need of replacing the PVC and plastic orange saftey netting that encloses our pilot stations. They are setup in a "v" pattern facing the runway with about 18 inches of space at the front.

There was some discussion as to making them out of metal Chain link fencing. Now this would ensure a more lasting investment but what about saftey issues? One of which has concerned a few modelers is radio interference. Antennas may touch the cage and ground out the signal, is this true? Another was that the radiation would be reduced about 50-60 feet?

Does anyone have any real expierence with radio systems and if used around this type of metal cage setup, what radio issues we would incurr?

I think that we need to revert back to heavy guage PVC pipe and instead of orange safety netting, use something thats more UV and weather resistant. One idea has been netting that is used from shrimp boats. I hear that can be bought at a marine store and will last for a long time.

What are your comments and thoughts on this?