RCU Forums - View Single Post - servo choice for Diamond Dust
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: servo choice for Diamond Dust

I would recommend using JR 8611 or HT5955 TG servos if you are planning on running over a 150 mph, that is, installing something more than a sport 46 class motor. I don’t think the reason for this need is the torque that these servos can generate but the toughness of the drive train. I think the vibration of the air pulses from the prop wash just tears them up. Jeff of Diamond Dust personally went out of his way to warn me. “for what you’re going to do, use a JR 8611”.

Ripped from the DD web site:
“Servo Choices = My personal preference for the elevons are the JR/4735's and a micro on the throttle. JR/DS9411 or in an application where you have a monster motor, use a JR/DS8611.For the throttle, the HS85BB is a good choice or the HS81. Note on the throttle linkage, use a plastic clevis at each end and do not crush the grommets, if you do will run the risk of vibration damaging the servo.”
END QUOTE

Yes they are expensive $120 + each. I have well over one hundred flights with the 8611’s and over sixty flight with the 5955 no problems.
It seems like the JR8611’s have better resolution but the HT5955’s are as tight as day one, hard to tell, one sets in a Whiplash and the other’s in a Diamond Dust, call it a draw.

What I won’t ever fly with;
JR ST125 (bought 4 and all made so much back EMF (noise) every receiver I tried fail my range test)
HT 625MG (bought a bunch of these. Some just stopped working in flight[X(], most at preflight. Other maladies poor centering, weak, slow. Because of this I retired the rest.)

JR and HT may have made some improvements or I got a bad batch.

I would like to know from others flying D.D’s ;
(# 1) What speed ?
(#2) What servo ?
(#3) Number of flights? (ongoing or at servo failure).