RCU Forums - View Single Post - My Plane is Buzzing (Newbie)
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batteries

With regards to your batteries, I would strongly recommend calling up Tower Hobbies and buying an Accucycle battery charger, (not the plus model). I have 2 that I use all the time. I wouln't charge the batteries a little here and there, you might run the risk of developing a "memory" in the cells, in which they will not hold the charge correctly, instead, if it has been a couple of weeks, just hook up the charger the night before, and press "discharge/auto charge", it will then discharge the batteries to the correct level, and switch to a timed 15 hour charge (which is recommended by most manufactures included chargers). This does a few things:
1. It won't overcharge your batteries.
2. It conditions them for maximum performance
3. If you cycle them through 2 or 3 cycles, it gives you a readout of the battery capacity. ie 585 of a 600Mah pack. By keeping a log of this, you can keep on top of your battery packs performance. Also, at the end of a flying day, say you log 5 flights, and don't have any engine problems which makes you leave the power switches on, you discharge them . The charger will tell you the remaining charge in them, example 200 Mah. This will help you gauge how much safe flying time you have left for future reference. Good luck.