RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro models pusher Bobcat?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

I have spent the last few weeks getting one of these Bobcats ready to fly. In my view the kit as it stands really is not suitable for turbine use. It needs a fair bit of modification to make it into a quite nice turbine model. I sheeted all surfaces where there was open framing and put the elevator servo in the horizontal stab. I split the huge over large ailerons into ailerons and flaps. All hinges were changed for Robart ones. I strengthened the booms with carbon and made a better job of gluing the blind nut locating ply. I also fitted retracts.
We have just flown it for the first time today and were surprised at how well it flew. The model weighs 9.4 lbs dry and as it was only the third flight so Dave did not have it absolutely flat out. The engine is a MW44 Gold that has only 4 Kg, but the latest ones put out 4.75 Kg. The speed was up to 150mph as measured on the Eagletree system. I have some video for those interested.
I cannot think why anyone would want to put a heavier more powerful engine on it. Just look how slowly it lands with the flaps down with 9.4lbs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1010910

John