RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glassing a Byron Christen Eagle
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 01:37 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glassing a Byron Christen Eagle

I have built many Byron Kits professionally, and can tell you that I can glass and paint one with little weight penalty. The problem with econokote is that if gas gets under or through a seam there goes the bird. Use thinned finishing resin like west system, not Zap, to thick. Put on just enough resin the first time to sturate the glass. Let it set up. Go over it lightly with 320 wet or dry paper just to knock the fuzz off. Then apply a second coat of resin to fill the weave and squegee the excess off. Then fill with epxoy based primer (remember the thinner in some paint will attack the foam. You can either use latex paint or water based polyurethane paints such as what you find at Walmart or Nelson's Aircraft. Put the big Moki up front and go carve the sky up!! That plane was designed for a geared sixty, then a Quadra 35. A 3.2 would probably be to heavy for the landing gear to handle. Flying it on glow will stop the risk of gas leaking into the fuse and destroying it. If you are going to use gas then seal the foam both inside and out really good. Have fun with your Byron Pitts.
I have a Byron Staggerwing that has been glassed and painted and still weighs only 20 lbs. They say it should weigh between 19 and 20 pounds. It flies great on a Super Tiger 2500.
regards,
Gary Webb