RCU Forums - View Single Post - aileron servo idea
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: aileron servo idea

Couple of ideas............

-- There is little value to spacing the servo away from the hatch cover. Actually, is there any? I've never done that and never seen any problems associated with the servo being flat against the plywood.

-- With the very short reach required to connect the servo arm to the horn, a bend in the pushrod won't compromise the strength enough to matter on any rod that's sufficient for the size airplane.

-- The idea that the connection at the servo arm should be as close to the servo as possible is more a suggested starting point. Moving out the arm reduces the servo's leverage, but won't come close to defeating the sucker as long as it's adequate for the size airplane. I've found that with all my models built in the last year, the connections have usually been in the 2nd hole out from the servo. I've had a couple that needed the last hole out, and those airplanes have yet to show anything close to blowback.... and they have had every opportunity to experience it!

-- I usually do not center the servo output shaft front-to-back in the slot. If there is room under the hatch, I usually position the servo away from the hingeline, toward the LE of the wing. That gives the arm more room in the slot when it's pushing the connecting rod. It is less apt to experience interference with the hatch that way. It doesn't need as much opening in the pull direction since the hatch is usually slanted up in that direction and the servo arm is moving "down into" the slot.