RCU Forums - View Single Post - need info on wood glue
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: need info on wood glue

I'm wit you. I use aliphatic (yellow) or vinyl (white - actually "polyvinyl acetate") based glues where ever possible. The exception is where I am glassing with epoxy - like a wing joint - or for fuelproofing. I have embraced CA for lofting wings. It just goes so much quicker and with less chance of a cat jumping up on the board and flattening a rib while I slept (&%*@%#! cat!). Only need a few of the square rib jigs and you can walk right along the wing in minutes. Amazing.

Just make sure to use a lot of pins and/or weights with white/yellow glues. They have a lot of moisture and when laminating large areas, like fuselage doublers, it may warp the wood. I have a bunch of 1/2 and 1 lb lead ingots (I cast balls for muzzleloading) and they are handy as all get out for gluing on the flat. Aleens Tacky Cement is a thicker PVA (white) glue that can be thinned with water, but dries very flexible (and waterproof once dry) and is slightly gap filling as is. It's the dark gold bottle at craft stores (gives me something to look for when THE ADMIRAL is buying yarn).