RCU Forums - View Single Post - thinner,slimmer,faster mods to my diamond dust
Old 10-28-2006, 10:45 PM
wingsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thinner,slimmer,faster mods to my diamond dust

ORIGINAL: HighPlains
That would be about 15 mph slower than what top F1 airplanes did in full race trim.
Sadly, we did not get to tweak the Kazi out before the wing came apart. We were testing a prop when it crashed. Most reports of the Formula 1 machines were making speeds in the 180's.

ORIGINAL: Mike Conner
My first Dust started doing that after about 80+ flights. I stripped the covering off twice looking for the problem and reinforced many areas and never did fix it. After the last flight I didn't have to worry about the trim problem (see photo). I finally built a new one and things were fine. I would be very interested if you do find the problem.
Sorry to see your loss. I had this problem before I recovered the dd, and was able to correct it. The right wing had some positive incidence (I belive) where the front was slightly lower than the rear, and would start to roll right at high speed. I was able to twist the wing up, and shrink the wrinkles to hold it straight. I will need to check it again as I suspect something is warped.

ORIGINAL: MMallory
Everything bends at those speeds. I reinforced the verticals to get mine to stop rolling as much. The soft balsa elevons were also flexing. It could be one is harder than the other causing your problem.
I actually had one fin break off in flight (in its first life) and I reinforced the fins with carbon fiber. I landed with no incident. I used oversized elevons (not the stock ones) that was cut from one piece, but I will check to see if one flexes more.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
I predict about 180 mph for the Nelson powered DD, which in a drag race puts it right there with a F-1 and the same engine. I just got 177 mph out of a K&B 6.5 on basically the same plane as Wingsmans' [I used 50% nitro, too].
That same engine (Nelson) boosted a Q500 from 140's to 170's. I hope that what it will do 180 mph and stay glued together!