RCU Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone recognise this bird and engine?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:53 PM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone recognise this bird and engine?

It's a 2nd series Futaba. The M series from about 74ish.
The first Futabas where a similar shape abiet thicker, brushed aluminium case without those ergonomic shaped plastic sides.
I had both, but it was the M that represented a major breakthrough in design, function and a MASSIVE breakthrough in overall reliability.
Up until the Futaba M, operating an RC model was alway a gamble. What electronic component was going to pack up first?
Looking back it was without doubt the batteries that caused most of our headaches. We'd fly all day on a 400mAh pack!

It's a 4 channel tranny (i had the 6 ---what.... 6 chanels?!!!) and yes it has no bells or whistles because non had been invented... yet this was the ultimate in design!
Amongst it distinct inovations, the M series introduced ratchet trims that could still be found on top end radios until quite recently.
I would be interesting to see which servos it had. The orginal top end models where a light cream color with one end/top cut at a 30deg' angle.
Again they were an absolute break through in reliability and performance. They where strongand very fast compared to what was available else where. I'd say they where only as good as the absolute worst after market servos 10 bucks would but you today. But back then...wow... Nothing else was better.
Would I use it today?
Not a chance.