RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hardened Allen Wrenches and Screwdrivers
Old 11-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hardened Allen Wrenches and Screwdrivers

If you want good drivers, go to Tower or or Horizon and search for tools, then hex drivers. I first picked up on them from a buddy who drove RC cars. They all seem to have them. They are used to cinching down pinion gears and really put some torque on them so they are strong. You can actually twist the heads off screws with them.

I have a metric and an English set of Dynamite hex drivers. Mine have solid aluminum handles with replaceable bits. They aren't ball end, but some manufacturers do make them. As I understand, the bits are made from drill blanks with the hex ground on the end, then the tip is hardened. I have had mine for several years, 3 at least, and not one has rounded off.

.050" is button head screws and some wheel collars-need that one.
1/16" is for wheel collars-need that one
5/64 is for socket head servo screws-need that one
3/32 is for 4-40 bolts-need that one
1.5mm is for the little set screw in your needle valve for adding a wire extension-need that one.
2.0mm-haven't used that one, but is came in a set
2.5mm .46 size mufflers-really need that one
3.0mm .60, .91 muffler bolts-need that one

They aren't cheap. Individual drivers run from $5-$10 each, but the sets save you a little. They make a good Christmas present you can give your wife a hint for. In my opinion, any of the hardened drivers are worth their weight in gold. Once I got mine, and my English set included a .050" one, I started using button head screws. You know how they round off. Not with this driver.

I would not get one with a plastic handle. I had bad luck with them. And don't loan them out.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=DYN2904]Dynamite[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=RAL]Tower Tools[/link]