RCU Forums - View Single Post - BEST PLANE TO START MY 6 YEAR OLD?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 10:22 AM
tankertoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BEST PLANE TO START MY 6 YEAR OLD?

Muzzler,
I just did about a week's worth of research into this very topic. My son is turning 6 in a couple of weeks and I wanted something we could fly indoors (it's cold and windy here) on a buddy box. My criteria was: slow and easy to fly plus compatible with my other foamies. I ended up with a GWS Pico Stick F (fuselage version). I didn't get the IPS (indoor power system) because I don't like geared motors (you are always replacing the gears). Instead, I bought the slope glider version from Tower Hobbies and am outfitting it with a GWS brushless outrunner and GWS ESC. Fewer moving parts, more power and not that much more $ than if you bought the IPS version. I use small (600-800mAh) 3 cell Lipos on my foamies, so they should work on this plane also. It will be a couple of weeks before we start flying, but I'm hoping for good results. I also looked at the stick version of the Pico stick, but it didn't seem durable enough for using it as a trainer. If you want something for outdoors, the GWS slow stick may be the way to go. Otherwise, my son has flown a Hobbyzone plane with good results (as long as I do takeoff and landings and am coaching him through the flight.) Once the weather gets nice, I think I'll get him one of the Hobbyzone planes with the ACT and see how that goes. Good Luck! - MT