RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tips - Hat, Sunglasses and Whatelse?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tips - Hat, Sunglasses and Whatelse?

We spend so much time focused on our planes we may be overlooking some important items that bring comfort and safety to our hobby. Here are a few of mine. You add your own items to the list.

I am posting this in the beginner forum because many of the new flyers I teach do not think to bring these things. In fact some seem resistant, but eventually they come around as they realize the benefits.

Here is my start to the list:

Hat - I never fly without a hat. I keep my flying hat in my car so I never forget it. The brim helps shade my eyes from the sun and it protects my head, since there isn't much hair to do the job anymore. It is also where I display my flying permit, as required by the county.

Sunglasses - I never fly without sunglasses. I even have a spare pair in my field tool box. If I happen to fly too close to the angle of the sun, the sunglasses help me keep the plane in site. More importantly they protect my eyes from harmful UV rays.

When I am flying I am looking directly into the sky, with tons of UV A and B rays raining down on my face and directly into my eyes. Whether I realize it or not I am probably going to sunburn my retina if I don't wear sunglasses. I even wear them on cloudy days since UV rays penetrate clouds.

Your turn

I have more on my list, but I would rather hear what you bring along to the field. Tell us what you bring and why. Do you keep these in the car, in you field box or do you pack them each time?

Let the listing begin!