RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale
Old 11-12-2006, 03:45 AM
kotori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale

WOW that is really cool. I am jealous, I wish I had a galleon [:-] I do have a few questions, however. First, have you considered the safety of your weapon system? I have two particular concerns. First is what happens if a spark lands just so on an enemy battleship and lights it on fire? That would be doing permanent major damage to a rather expensive model. Second, what happens if a cannon misfires in just such a way as to detonate your ship's magazine? That was a serious risk in the real ships, and it'd really suck for that to happen on the models as well. Third, looking at your photos I am not sure how your cannons reload. Traditional CO2 powered cannons can fire hundreds of rounds in a single battle, butright now it looks like all you'll be firing is a single broadside. Basically I am concerned about your use of pyrotechnics as propellant for your weapons. There are reasons why pyrotechnics are forbidden in most warship combat clubs, and I'd very much like to see your project succeed.

Also, have you ever sailed an RC square-rigger before? How about any sail boat at all? Sailing isn't easy to learn, and square-rigged ships are even harder to sail than your average yacht.

Good luck with this project! I sincerely hope it turns out well.