RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aurora 60 Build Thread - Electric Power
Old 11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Bootalini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aurora 60 Build Thread - Electric Power

I just finished fabricating and gluing both top side pieces of the fuselage. I used 1/2" thick light balsa (approx 6 lb density) for those 2 pieces as I knew they would be difficult to trim given the required angles and curves and the fact that I would not be able to hollow these from the inside afterward. They turned out as good as can be expected with only a few minor gaps in a few spots. The next step is to trim the tops of those shoulder pieces flush with the tops of the fuse bulkheads and then add the top "cap". The top of the Aurora fuse has a constant curve/slope all the way to the vertical stab which is necessitating my having to take my time and be careful.

I also cut the fuse outline templates from some spare 1/8" acid free picture frame backing board that I had lying around. That stuff has a special foam core that is perfect for the job. It's fairly stiff yet easy to cut and sand to shape.

Well, that's it's for now. I'll soon be making a mess of my work area from balsa shavings and dust!

Jeff L
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54056.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	558772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46976.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	558773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs30210.jpg
Views:	422