RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aurora 60 Build Thread - Electric Power
Old 11-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Bootalini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aurora 60 Build Thread - Electric Power

The vertical fin and rudder have been shaped. This phase has been the most tedious part of the project thus far.

A quick trip to the hobby shop and I had the hinges required to hinge and tack the rudder to the fin prior to sanding. As you can see in the 1 photo, I slotted the rudder's thin ply core to accept 4 hinges. The 2 rudder horns for the pull-pull will later be attached near the rudder's bottom with horn bolts going thru the bottom hinge. I then sandwiched the perimeter ply core with 2 quarter inch pieces of balsa plank on either side. Before tacking the rudder to the fin, I carved the rudder to it's rough shape to minimize the sanding once the whole unit was together. While the fin is structuraly strong, some parts are fragile to handling during the carving and sanding process.
Next step is to break the entire fin unit from the fuse then hollow it's main block from the bottom. Removing this unit also gives me unrestricted access to the rear fuse innards as I've yet to install the elevator pushrods and antenna guide. Once all those steps are completed, I'll permanently glue all the carved blocks back into place and finish the shaping and sanding.

Turkey last night, turkey sandwiches for lunch today and turkey leftovers for supper tonight. Enough for this coming week's lunches as well. Sound familiar??

Jeff L
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55165.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	566075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55113.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	566076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30659.jpg
Views:	200