RCU Forums - View Single Post - XFoil and airfoil data
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 07:42 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XFoil and airfoil data

Thanx for all the suggestions. I downloaded Profili and had a look at it. I was impressed and could see how it would be helpfull. I will at some point invest in a copy, but for now my immediate problem is to refine my airfoil co-ordinates so that XFoil can use them. I ahve become quite proficient in XFoil by now and the command line interface does not scare me.

The main reason why my co-ordinates are a problem is since I have no easy way to export them from a CAD program (where I use splines to define the shape) to co-ordinates. I wrote a program to take an .bmp (bitmap) file and convert the picture of the airfoil into co-ordinates. The plot I produced in XFoil is as a result of the output from my program. As you can see, it's a bit rough and XFoil has a hard time converting it into acceptable panels. I'm in the process of refining the program in hopes that I can get something usefull out of it.

I'll let you guys know if I have any success with my program.

Oh, by the way, am I wasting my time? i.e. is there a program that already does what I'm intending?

-Q.