RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ford Flivver small glo 40 size ARF - 5 options for electric power
Old 12-29-2006, 07:27 PM
bdelmonte
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ford Flivver small glo 40 size ARF - 5 options for electric power

Yesterday, I finally made my maiden flight. It took off the runway in about only 20 feet and accelerated nicely up to flying altitude. After trimming with elevator down to drop the nose, I should have realized it was tail heavy (CG is at 5 inches, rather than recommended 4 to 4 1/2 inches. I will correct this by cutting a hole in the firewall to move the LiPo forward to balance at the correct CG after I recharge the batteries.

After only five minutes, power dropped, controls became erratic and I just barely landed it on the runway after one go around. I had expected 24 minutes with three 8 minute flights, not just 5 minutes! Then, I was able to still quickly taxi it off the runway, when I did not expect any power left. Is something not right with LiPo, motor or ESC?

After only charging it 1580 Amps using Astro Blinkie on 1 of 2 balance jacks. I called tech support at Dymond Motorsports to discuss this short flight and still having 11.8 V reading on the LiPo batters. Dymond said that the 60 Amp opto ESC should be not cutting off power at this Voltage reading.

Today, I discharged past 2000 Amps, and then ran it down further in my backyard. It would run for 2 minutes, then quickly drop power with extreme servo chatter. I repeated this 4 times. I took the canopy off suspecting that the motor is overheating and shutting down. But in a few minutes, the motor ran noticeable slower with final 11.16 V reading.

I just recharged it 5500 without Blinkie and with final voltage of 12.56 V (12.6 optimum). I will adjust the CG and try flying it again, but am thinking of first cutting a hole in the canopy over the motor for both cooling and later adding a "Anzani' mock engine.

Any thoughts on what is flivvering going on here?