RCU Forums - View Single Post - Supporting my LHS...what's the point?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supporting my LHS...what's the point?

This topic makes me want to vent a little. I really truly wish I had a GOOD LHS to support. If I did, I would support them wholeheartedly. But the sad fact is, my local hobby shops may as well be grocery stores or tanning salons or anything other then hobby shops. I went in the other day to get some 1/4 inch balsa sticks and some 1/4 inch hardwood. They had neither. I also needed some 3/8 ply for a firewall. They had none. While I was in there, 2 young kids came in the store with a nitro truck they bought from the store. They asked the guy behind the counter a few questions as they couldnt get it started. His response was, I am not good with those types of thing. I overheard the kids conversation and gave them a few pointers while I was walking out in disgust. And the thing that really burns my tail is they will ask you everytime you walk out of the store if you found everything alright. Hmmm, obviously not. Not only do they never have stock in the store, (basic balsa, props,4/40 bolts, covering in more then 3 colors, etc)they have very poor service. I know they dont fly, this guy couldnt help these 2 kids with their truck, and no one in the area deals in boats, so what exactly qualifies this guy to work in a hobby store?I see absolutely NO reason to support a store like that!. On the other hand, there are about 4 different online stores that I purchase from regularly. They have all provided outstanding service. If I have a question about a product, they have had an answer, If I needed help with something, they have given me tech help over the phone. My problem is, a lot of companies dont understand good old fashioned customer service. If I dont get it, I dont support the store. Plain and simple. If I feel like I am being talked down to or cohersed into a line of BS, I dont buy from them. I guess I might be different from most buyers as I dont impulse buy and always research what I need and ask a million questions. If I am building a plane, I plan ahead and try to order what I need or at least what I need to get started. When I get done reading the instruction manual through, I have a list of what I will need and order it during the initial construction phases. I pretty much see LHS's going the way of the DODO bird though. The internet just has so much more to offer me then my LHS's. One LHS is a major chain and the other is a small locally owned hobby shop. They are a tiny bit better with stock but they keep odd hours and are very arrogant and they tried to charge me $20 more then Tower for a realflight add-on plus shipping and tax. No dice! I waited 4 days and saved $30 bucks.

Warren