RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Covering Videos!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
tronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Covering Videos!!!

ive never covered anything before. I knew this was going to be a challenge so i built a small 35' wingspan plane to practice on. I covered, stripped, and recovered my way through two full rolls of monokote on that thing with no success. And i dont just mean that it was unsightly! there was so many wrinkles im not sure it would even fly. I have all new equipment (irons and such) and two very informative books with good pictures. I have followed all the instructions to a T! i can get the covering tacked down tightly without any sag, slack, or wrinkles but as soon as i apply heat it shrivles and sags. some places seem to shrink like theyre supposed too but its patchy. there are places that melt before they shrink! Im at a loss! is my material defective? what am i doing wrong? i have covered that plane over a dozen times and my results have not improved. And dont think i havent taken my time. i have spent all evening on half the underside of a wing with terrible results. bah......ok..sorry for ranting. heres my question:
*is it possible BOTh my rolls of monokote are defective?
*is there any reason to think i might have better luck with ultracote? i hear it shrinks at a lower temperature.
thanks