RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
safeshark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale

The planks were mainly attached to the ribs using CA glue as a temporary hold. After that I applied Gorilla Glue to the inside and outside of the seams. It foams up and fills the cracks, binding the planks onto the ribs. It has to be sanded down after this to remove the glue that foams up from between the planks, but it is strong and waterproof.

After that I used wood filler to waterproof the interior of the hull, then painted over it to seal the inside.

I am currently stuck trying to find a source of planking for the second layer on the outside. It needs to be had in a longer overall length then the first layer.

Will post an update when I get something done on the ship. I've mainly been testing and screwing around with the cannons. I built two smaller "target ships" out of paper and popsicle sticks to fire upon using the prototype cannons, but have yet to sink either one. They can both sail themselves, being fore-and-aft rigged, and with the tiller lashed to the boom, they sail at various angles to the wind. They are simple and not based on any specific boat design, but one resembles a gaff-cutter and the other a schooner.

Omondon, the Wappen model sounds awesome! Do you have pics of the construction or plans? What kind of cannons are you using?
I am trying to finish by summer as well.