RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Speed of Propeller or Airplane ???
Old 01-19-2007, 01:04 PM
NikolayTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Speed of Propeller or Airplane ???

Hi Fellows,

It seems we are comming out of the "tunel" and there seems more bright future ahead; i.e.
I am very much encouraged by your recent replies and based on your understanding let me
ask couple
Techical Trade-Off Questions, which might answer some of your questions too:
1. Rudeboy has very exact questions and they can be answered allmost all at once in general by the
Question of the Trade-Off (i.e. related to Efficiency) I have in mind: - The OS.91FX I have selected
as a typical example of the .91 class Trade-Off among the Price-vs-Performance for almost any of
the "things" under discussion. Please Digest the Following:
- Power-to-Weight Ratio of the Engines in .91 (15cc) range. If use the catalog data with its hidden
risks (!) it is very immediately clear that those engines have the best one (among the piston ones)
and also the price is near 200 USD, while the performance is ultimately very good. Here are many
ones as Webra.91, SuperTigre.90, which are very popular by those reasons, while the 1.4 and 1.6,
and even 1.2 cu, are a "dragging" us into almost double expenses if you look also at the other things
of primary importance like Propeller, Starter, Ariplane etc, for what belongs to the "Professional" class
the Pricess are almost double, for example reffering to Tower hobbies pages. In FACT in Tower Hobbies
you will not Find Anymore in year 2007 so many 2.0 Airplanes because I guess maybe they do not sale
as well as the smaller ones. In other words, by increasing the power of the engine from 0.47 up, there
is a Sharp step up in the pricess for anything above 0.91(15cc), isn't it ?!
- It does not have to be OS.91 and even if FX dissapear, there are going to be quite for sure many
other Ringed or Not ones which have similar Power-to-Weight-to-Price "accomodation"; here I guess
Rudeboy could agree that my .91-idea has longer life ahead, OK ?
- Also, if we look at the ordinary, let say general Car for general people, it is still pretty OK for the
Ariplanes of size up to 180cm(max 2m) which is the size for .91 engine; bigger planes need bigger
cars and that is rising the "overall" cost of the hobby.
- Fuel is also lot more expensive for bigger engines apetite; i.e. another still good reason for using
the .91. I have BGX-1(35cc) and that consumes (I was surprised) not much more than 1.6FX(28cc)
and both "eat nicely almost double" amount of fuel for power about 3.6-4.1 bhp, while with a good
one .91 one can get up to 2.7-2.9 bhp.

If I consider somehow that we could agree on that Question #1: - that the .91 is the Mass-People
ENGINE (do we ?), then the questions could be reduced to only two more:
the RC AIRPLANE: - Yes, we prefer flying beatiful Scale (or Semi-scale) "things" and in the
RCUniverse Popularity list are easily found who are the Most Wanted ones; please check if you
haven't, but you will find out most likely they are still: Cessna, Mustang, Extra, Pit, all old nice
fellow names.
No Surprise at all is: - they are MATCH for what is flying around as big plane most likely.
Still the "New kid arround" is the Awards winning (even in Reno) Lancair Kit Plane in many
ranges. Some even say that if 20'th century was Cessna's time, the 21st at least begins
with Lancair ... I thing you have no doubts anymore that surely, I would like to buy one
like that (www.lancair.com) instead of the most expensive RC-Jet, and the cheapest kit is
about 35 kUSD, almost very near to the expensive RC-jets hangars of the RC-jet
Fellows, i.e. again about my view on Efficiency still do not make me sick for saving the
big money as soon as get my hands on them - they will go to the REAL PLANE,
instead to RC-one, and if I have to choose I will sale all RC I have for a nice real one,
maybe not Cessna anyway; in fact old Cessna you can get for just 8000 USD even
cheaper than good RC-Jet, but it is an old one indeed; and the maintenance for
ceritifed airplane is lot more than Experimental one as we know. Back to RC:
- Also, NOT in the last place, especially in the windy conditions the WEIGHT and then
achievable SPEED are the Pre-Conditions to Fly more hours around the year, like it is
in the Nordic Countries; it is lot more windy than in the south; in fact ther are only few
days per year with less than 5m/s wind and lot of .47 planes require lot more
skils to fly than the .91, i.e. more people have less crashes on .91 than on
the .47. In addition bigger is better is nicely suitable for the beginners since
the big airplane is not only more stable (in general) but it is also more
relaxing because it is seen from longer distances, as we all know.
As for other parts: Servo for anything above .91 is 2-3 times more
expensive too, etc.
Local Conclusion here #2 is: We do not have to select only one RC-Model, maybe
only we have to select the RANGE of Capabilities and that is needed in order to go
to the next QUESTION # 3, which is - What kind of Competition Rules would be the
best for .91 size (Semi)Scale Airplane like those listed above. ??
SHORTLY, please comment if this the Right Order to Make the Selections:
# 1. Engine => # 2.Aiplane => #3. Rules of Competition.
In fact the Letter of Rudeboy suggested that there have been some kind of
very exciting competition event and settings which somehow were at their pick
about 3 Years Ago; - Could you please post some Photo, Rules-drafts, or Video,
or WWW-page or what event has been that time ? - maybe we find there
something byt reason or another we can Re-Discover like a very nice
thing and update and addapt to the time nowadays; 3 years is not that
long ago, isn't it ?

Best Regards,
Nikolay