RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Mig 15 build
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 03:46 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BVM Mig 15 build

OK, the wifes made off with the camera, on an overnight 'team building' session so no pics today. Only had a few hours since the weekend but got the two airbrakes in and hinged, also used the revised hinge system for the front doors and have those in as well.

Whilst I wait for some key hardware I wanted to ask a question:

The plans show the wing construction complete with aileron, and the process involves sheeting the wing to the edge of the aileron, then sheeting the aileron still in situ. Once this is done you 'cut' the aileron from the main wing.

Concern 1: You need to be very accurate in the cutting off of the aileron, not only do you have to cut through ribs but also at the right angle so the resulting cut on the opposite surface in spot on. As an operation this seems very hit and miss, with more chance of the miss!

Concern 2: If the aileron does come off clean, you then have to remove the .2 of an inch stubs left on the original ribs, to get back to the aileron spar which is set back from the wing sheeting edge by this amount, I just know some damage to the sheeting edge is going to happen however careful you do this.

So, why not remove the aileron rib sections before sheeting, spot gluing some rib standoffs infront of the aileron spar so that the wing is still held in the correct position, as the aileron ribs sections carry the current standoffs. Using the plans build the aileron, nice and flat, and sheet the wing leaving a .2 overhang on the aileron spar.

As I plan on modifying the trailing edge of the aileron to strengthen it against wharp, as I have done so on the flap trailing edge this process would help me no end.

Have I missed something here?

Comments, advise please.

Marc.