RCU Forums - View Single Post - Esky Lama V3
Thread: Esky Lama V3
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
retired911guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Esky Lama V3

Hi. A little more to report. When mine crashed, it was in forward flight also. I truly believe the stabilizer (flybar) came loose and took off for parts unknown. I never found it. The receiver, as it turns out, was trashed in the crash as well as other parts. Mine took a nosedive from about 50 ft. up. It may have been a radio problem as well. I have seen too many videos of the Lama just falling out of the sky for no apparent reason. Personally, I think they DO have a radio problem. Something that lends a bit of credence to that idea is that my replacement 4-in-1 receiver looks NOTHING like the one it replaced. I initially thought someone had screwed up but it said it was for the E012, which is the designation for the Lama. I had fun figuring out what went where as there was zero documentation with it. I have one adjustable trim "pot" on the receiver, but no idea what it affects. I had ordered the aluminum upgrade parts for it, but the day after I did, I discovered the receiver was junk, and got them to cancel the order. I spent the money on a new receiver, and ordered metal parts for the Blade CX2 instead. I just got the Lama flying tonight as the parts came in this afternoon from Nitroplanes.com. By the way, there was absolutely no problem with my order (Thank you, Tommy, and have fun in Nuremburg). Since I don't trust the plastic upper blade shaft and stabilizer mount, I glued a short piece of flat plastic from the trashed skid assembly across the top of the upper shaft. There is no room to put a small screw there (like the CX2). I don't know if it will help, but it sure as heck won't hurt. I do not trust the stock stabilizer mount to hold it in place. The SLIGHTEST imbalance in the stabilizer bar will put a tremendous amount of stress on that unsupported bit of plastic. I highly recommend the aluminum upgrade parts for it. I also have a Walkera 22E and the tail motor stopped spinning in one direction. After 4 replacement motors, I got the fifth one installed without breaking it...and guess what, it does not spin in one direction!! Obviously the receiver is bad, and it never suffered a serious bump! I started looking for a replacement as well as an aluminum swashplate(I found it comes apart under stress) and while looking for these, I found RC-Fever. com. I can order a whole helicopter for the price of the receiver and a couple of more parts. You can buy the chopper most anywhere for $100 and I found it for $86. If you had to build it out of parts, it would probably cost you $500. So I am going to order a whole helicopter and use the first one for parts. That makes a LOT of $ense. This would be the really smart thing to do on any bird that costs about $100 or so, unless you're an expert and don't crash them any more. I am not an expert, but I'm getting better.