RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which Beginners Electric RC Airplane
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Leo L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Beginners Electric RC Airplane

Welcome to R/C flying!

The Firebird Commander 2 is a nice plane to start with, but there are better choices available to you. Although 2 channel control is the easiest to master, it is severly limiting. The ACT is a good concept that doesn't quite work right. Although some flyers find it beneficial, for the most part you would do well to turn it off.

The Aerobird Challenger (it is not being discontinued as far as I know) is a better choice than the Firebird Commander 2. A much better choice is the HobbyZone SuperCub, which Backyard Flyer Magazine recently called "The Perfect Beginner Plane". The SuperCub was not available when I first started flying nearly two years ago. If I was starting today, I would definitely get the SuperCub. I have helped several beginners to start flying with the SuperCub and its as good as everyone says. If your flying field does not have a landing surface and you want a plane with no landing gear for handlaunches and belly landings, get the Multiplex EasyStar. Other good beginner planes, but not as good as the SuperCub or the EasyStar, are the Aerobird Challenger, T-hawk, Wingo, Slow-V, SloStick, SkyFly, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.