RCU Forums - View Single Post - ASP .46 rebuild
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ASP .46 rebuild

Hi All,

Here's the deal:

A friend of mine retired his ASP .46, and I took it under my wing to get running again. The reason for retirement was that is sounded AWFUL when running, a terrible clanging cacaphony of sound I thought this was likely to be a bearing that was past it's sell-by date.

Anyway, I disassmbled the unit, and replaced the bearings. I noted that although there was some where, it wasnt chronic, but I replaced them with some units that matched from the local bearing shop (the original parts are silly expensive, and I am in the UAE, so ordering them was not an option)
I put everything back together, and while doing so, noted that the piston and sleeve look to be in good condition and without the head on, everything turns really nicely, one expects a slight 'notching' at TDC as the piston stops and then begins it's downward run. I insert the VERY thin shim gasket and tighten up the head, only to find that the piston seems to be TOUCHING the head at TDC, and really battles to get past TDC ( I expect that this is doing NO good to the bushings in the top or bottom of the crankshaft). Bear in mind that this is all happening with no plug in, so it cannot be too much compression.

Do I add another shim to get a bit more clearance? I have other 2-strokes that have NO shims and still seem to operate well enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks